Friday 8 May 2009

Skills for life

Great-grandmother delivers baby


A 90-year-old former midwife from Wiltshire had to step in to deliver her great-granddaughter because the duty midwife was not able to arrive in time.

Margaret Jones, of Malmesbury, who lives next door to granddaughter Kathy Shah, 32, received the call for help 50 years after leaving the profession.

Mrs Jones said: "I did not think I would get down because I have two artificial hips.

"When I got home after, I had a strong cup of tea and put some whisky in it."

Great-grandmother, Margaret Jones, with daughter, Daphne Hurst, granddaughter, Kathy Shah, and great grandchildren, Carys (r) and Dylan
Mrs Jones said she had not delivered a baby since 1954

Mrs Shah had just returned from a walk with her husband, Keval, a city banker, and 19-month-old son Dylan when her labour started.

"We came back because Dylan fell asleep," she said.

"If we had not, Carys may have been born outside somewhere.

"My mum first called my gran just to have a look while I was waiting for the hospital midwife."

Mrs Jones ended up delivering 7lb 7oz Carys 20 minutes before the midwife arrived.

"I am close with my gran," said Mrs Shah. "It felt incredible to have her there, she is magical."

No comments:

Post a Comment